CHEMISTRY LECTURER JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE LECTURER IN CHEMISTRY DURATION: FULL TIME (FIXED TERM FOR ONE YEAR IN THE FIRST INSTANCE) POST NO: 17/14/023 GRADE: LECTURER
The person appointed will join a progressive team involved in the delivery of a range of full time programmes including GCE A-Level and Foundation Degree in CHEMISTRY.
KEY TASKS : The person appointed will be responsible to the Curriculum Manager, for the following: –
- To provide high quality teaching in English language and learning across a range of programmes within a Further Education setting, particularly Extended Diploma in CHEMISTRY and also CHEMISTRY subjects within a range of Foundation Degrees and GCE ‘A’ level equivalent within the Faculty.
- Tutorship of students, giving appropriate support to enable students to achieve their goals and progress to positive destinations.
- Interviewing and giving guidance to potential students.
- Assisting students in their progression to Higher Education, Apprenticeship opportunities or employment.
- To contribute to the development and continual improvement of courses, co-ordinating effectively with both staff and students.
- To be proactive in marketing/liaising with local schools, employers and Higher Education Institutions with the objective of improving teaching and forging partnership links.
GENERIC DUTIES : In addition to the requirements of the post above, all members of the academic staff are required: –
- to complete all associated organisation/administrative work, preparation and marking;
- to deal with immediate student disciplinary and welfare problems;
- to keep and maintain specified student and class records; Job Description
- to plan, prepare, develop and evaluate courses and course materials, and where appropriate supervise course provision;
- to assist with administration, enrolment, pre-enrolment counselling and identification of customer requirements;
- to participate in Programme/School/University activities as requested, including parents’ evenings.
- to participate and undertake Staff Appraisal and in-service training based on an assessment of individual service needs;
- to meet the requirements of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and the University’s Health & Safety Procedures;
- to be prepared to operate on a flexible year as required; members of the academic staff will normally be expected to work not more than two evenings per week on average;
- to undertake such duties as may be reasonably required commensurate with the grade of the appointment.
Salary Lecturer Scale: The standard Contract of Service apply.
Hours of attendance: 37 hours per week
Annual Leave: 40 days per annum plus statutory holidays
Lecturer contact hours: 828 per annum
The University reserves the right to direct up to 10 days of your annual leave entitlement for efficiency purposes
ESSENTIAL TO HAVE;
A Master’s (MSc.) Degree in CHEMISTRY from UK and/or USA and/or any university that teaches in English language,
Relevant professional or commercial experience,
A teaching qualification,
Knowledge and experience of current teaching and learning strategies,
Ability to respond to change positively ,
Excellent organisational skills,
Excellent interpersonal skills,
Ability to work as part of a team,
Excellent communication skills,
Setting and achieving high standards for yourself and students,
Promoting a culture of involvement, listening and responsiveness to student’s needs,
N.B. All candidates for teaching posts must possess a recognised teaching qualification.