Privacy notice for pupils and parents
This notice is to help pupils and parents understand how and why we collect your personal information and what we do with the information.
It also explains the decisions that you can make about your own information.
If you have any questions about this notice please speak to the IT manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
What is personal information?
Personal information is information that MEH collects about you.
This includes information such as your name, date of birth and address as well as things like exam results, medical details and behaviour records.
The institution may also record your religion or ethnic group.
How and why does MEH collect such information?
Admissions forms give us lots of personal information.
Your old school also gives us information about you.
We get information from you, your teachers and other pupils.
Sometimes we get information from your doctors and other professionals.
CCTV, photos and video recordings of you are also personal information.
We collect this information to help the institution run properly, safely and to let others know what we do here.
Here are some examples:
- We need to tell all your teachers if you are allergic to something or might need extra help with some tasks
- We use CCTV to make sure the institution site is safe
- We may need to report some of your information to the government.
- Depending on when you leave us we many need to provide your information to other institutions and universities or potential employers.
- We may share information about your exam results and provide references.
- We may need to share information with the police or our legal advisers if something goes wrong or to help with an inquiry.
- We may share some information with our insurance company.
- We may share your academic and (where fair) your behaviour records with your parents or education guardian so they can support your schooling.
- We may use photographs or video of you for the institution’s website, social media sites or prospectus to show prospective pupils what we do here and for teaching purposes.
- We publish our exam results, sports fixtures and other news on the website and put articles and photographs in the local news to tell people about what we have been doing.
Information about your parents
- We use information about your parents where we need this to help the school to run properly.
For example financial information, their contact details and where they work.
- Sometimes we need information from your parents about things that are happening at home which have an effect on how you are feeling.
What do we do with your personal information?
The IT manager is the person responsible at MEH for managing who we look after personal information and deciding how it is shared.
Like other organisations we need to keep your information safe, up to date, only use it for what we said we would, destroy it when we no longer need it and most importantly treat the information we get fairly.
In exceptional circumstances we may keep your information for a longer time than usual or share it more widely than we would normally.
What decisions can you make about your information?
If the information is incorrect you can ask us to correct it.
If you would like to know whether we hold any information about you then please speak to the IT Manager
If you would like to ask MEH to keep certain information confidential then please speak to the IT Manager.
Further information and guidance
This notice is to explain how we look after personal information.
If you have any questions then please ask the IT manager about how this works in our institution.